Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fh Maturity? How Long Will It Take?
Flowerhorn USA > Flowerhorns & Hybrids > Breeding Flowerhorns
nano23jr
GOOD AM TO ALL!

HEY GUYS, JUST WANT TO ASK ABOUT THE MATURITY OF FLOWERHORN FISH..
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO HAVE A MATURED FLOWERHORN FISH? IS THE SIZE OF THE TANK HAS TO DEAL W/ IT? HOW ABOUT THE FOOD?
COZ IM JUST WONDERING ABOUT MY FISH, I NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES HE GROWS ALOT.. THEN SUDDENLY HE STOPS GROWING..?
I WANT TO KNOW WHEN IT WAS GONNA BE ITS FULLEST SIZE?
THANKS IN ADVANCE IN YOUR OPINIONS..

-NANO cool.gif
Aquatic Dragons
Flower Horn, not Kamfa or Golden, sexually mature about 6 months old and at 4"-5" for males and 3"-4" for females. Growth is stimulated by the fish's diet, tank size and water conditions. The better the food, the bigger the tank, the cleaner the water, the bigger and faster your fish will grow. Most Flower Horn only grow to about 18" or so, give or take the breed and if yours is short body or not.
Orichi_Chris
QUOTE (nano23jr @ Jan 6 2005, 04:04 PM)
GOOD AM TO ALL!

HEY GUYS, JUST WANT TO ASK ABOUT THE MATURITY OF FLOWERHORN FISH..
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO HAVE A MATURED FLOWERHORN FISH? IS THE SIZE OF THE TANK HAS TO DEAL W/ IT? HOW ABOUT THE FOOD?
COZ IM JUST WONDERING ABOUT MY FISH, I NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES HE GROWS ALOT.. THEN SUDDENLY HE STOPS GROWING..?
I WANT TO KNOW WHEN IT WAS GONNA BE ITS FULLEST SIZE?
THANKS IN ADVANCE IN YOUR OPINIONS..

-NANO cool.gif

it depends on breed...
for ZZ... u can breed them at 4" to 5" =<
bec famale ZZ lay eggs around this size

for Kamfa... u will have to breed when around 7" =<
bec female Kamfa will only lay eggs around 7"

all this are from experience... observe when the female lay eggs... it will be more accurate

advice not to breed your FH to young... best is around 10" and above... u will get real surprise.... tongue.gif
Habitat
QUOTE (Bilbo @ Jan 15 2005, 01:07 PM)
Zz and jk strains can breed as little as 3 inches  becoming sexually active at around 4 months old . At least the females anyway .  Males can become sexually mature around 5 months  and 3 -4 inches .  This will vary with each individual fish .

agreed but have heard from some experianced ones that breeding so small can lead to instable fry..shorter life span
ever heard off this?

some off my best batch from little ones
nano23jr
how about the size of the fish? how long or how big does a Zz / Rd will be ang how long it would take to be its fullest size?
btw, tnxs for all ur opinions..!
Habitat
QUOTE (Bilbo @ Jan 17 2005, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (Habitat @ Jan 17 2005, 06:33 AM)
QUOTE (Bilbo @ Jan 15 2005, 01:07 PM)
Zz and jk strains can breed as little as 3 inches  becoming sexually active at around 4 months old . At least the females anyway .  Males can become sexually mature around 5 months  and 3 -4 inches .  This will vary with each individual fish .

agreed but have heard from some experianced ones that breeding so small can lead to instable fry..shorter life span
ever heard off this?

some off my best batch from little ones

Yes ive heard this for many many years . As far as proof.... ummmm, i dont know if there is any . I myself dont particulary believe this since i have bred fish young alot of times. I have also bred fish at an older age and havent seen any difference in the quality or life span of the offspring . I know a few people here locally that have done this also with bigger fish . You see i feel that if a fish is able to breed then there is nothing wrong for it to breed . Some big cichlids come into maturity at 4 months of age and yet others like Oscars for example take a year to 2 years . You see , its "mother natures" way of telling the fish that its time to breed. Sure alot of fish have seasons that they breed in and are forced to wait a whole year before they breed . But the same fish in another climate that offers longer warmer springs and summers will alow a fish to be born at the beggining of the season and sexually mature and spawn before the end of the long season .
I also dont believe that male fish are stunted through breeding. I started to believe this at one time but i dont anymore. I have a friend who had some 24 inch male breeder oscars that he bought then when they were about 10 inches . They bred for years . They ended up growing to a phenomenal length . The females stayed alot smaller because they were putting out alot of protein through egg production . But the males kept growing large.
So maybe the suggestion that babies will be a smaller fish than what they could be if the parents are bred young. But i personally dont believe this .

My fry had a daddy that wasnt a year old . They also had a mother that was significantly younger than a year old. Their fry are now 7 months old. I have two males upstairs that are on growth track and healthy as can be . They are extreemly mean . I also have another fry that is going on 9 inches and is over his growth track . Hes even meaner . Yes i had some that grew significantly under what they should have grown but this was only because they were in the same tank as the big ones , thats all . So no i dont believe that breeding young fish has anything to do with there life span or health . I personally believe this is a mith . At least in fish . Until someone has done scrupulous testing and testing and then more testing , i dont think that there is any validity in the conclusion that young fish will throw off less quality fry . But i could be wrong . These are just my two cents . There is no proof in my beliefs either . Just want to make that clear.

Whatever the case , i dont think theres going to be that much difference whatever age you decide to breed your fish . Its no big deal to me . Just enjoy the fish while its alive . thumbsup.gif

i agree
if they r sexually mature and are able to breed
there shouldnt be any reason for them not being capable to produce long living fry.
thats a good point you make about using protein for egg production.
i have noticed that too, when female are spawning, they grow much slower.
Partly also because there diet is lower and they are buring up much more energy.
But lets not forget... if eggs require high protein and the female has lower capability because of size, there could be room for malnurishment.
Larger females produce larger, more healthy eggs than smaller ones.
Larger males have higher sperm count.
after spawn.. even size of free swimmers is larger " some times "
could this show some relation to the belief of poor quality ??
well................ thinking.gif

i dont believe it. biggrin.gif
Jett
This is one great significant discussion. Please keep it up my bros. Many thanks to Bilbo for sharing his knowledge.

This is what I call a QUALITY post that puts FHUSA BANDWIDTH INTO GOOD USE.

My wish is we would have more discussions like these that are TRULY SIGNIFICANT and PERTINENT to the hobby.

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 © 2014  IPB SEO Module